This video by Vox and Ezra Klein explains why American health care is so expensive, and it does so simply and effectively. It mentions each of the top issues I write about here at Modern Health Talk, including the political influence of a medical cartel that profits from treating illness and injury with a fee-for-service business model.
The video gives me an opportunity to highlight the many issues contributing to our high costs, with a short description and reference articles for each.
- There’s No Easy Fix
- Market Forces Don’t Work in Health Care
- A Medical Cartel Influences Public Policy
- Direct to Consumer Advertising Influences Public Attitudes
- Incentives are Misaligned with Goals
- Health is Not a Policy Objective but a Political Weapon
- Inequality affects Health Wealth, Opportunity & Influence
- Single-Payer is Not Enough
- Public Health Programs are Effective
- Medical Schools teach Diagnosis & Treatment, not Prevention
- Disruptive Business Models Break From Fee-for-Service
- Tech Solutions Define the Future of Healthcare
- Aging Populations Stress Support Systems
- Important Documentaries