Because Congress is debating tax reform, I’m republishing this article to again raise the issue of inequality.
Rising income and wealth inequality leads to political inequality and threatens our democracy. A Washington Post article concluded that People have no idea what inequality actually looks like, and that caused me to respond and to enhance this article, which was published here two years ago. It features some disturbing videos that help us understand the corrupting influence of big money in politics and the direct relationships between:
- Special interest lobbying and policies resulting in a widening of income & wealth gaps,
- Between the widening wealth gaps and poverty,
- Between Poverty and obesity,
- Between obesity and diabetes and other chronic illness,
- Between chronic illness and rising healthcare costs, and
- Between rising healthcare costs and our economic problems.